USB 3.1 vs USB 3.0

Question

Posted · Report post

It's my first time posting here at the BensTechTips community so I thought I'd kick off with a question that I had from earlier today.

So last week my 16GB USB drive broke. It completely fails to write to the device, so I'm looking for a new one.

I noticed that now USB 3.1 is available. What is the difference between USB 3.0 and USB 3.1. Of course, I only have a 3.0 controller on my PC so it won't have any performance benefit yet, but if I decide to upgrade my PC then it may have a USB 3.1 controller.

So, my question is: What is the difference between USB 3.1 and 3.0?

BensTechTips likes this

2 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Thanks for posting on the forums. Glad to know it's your first time - we're always happy to help!

As per the version number, USB 3.1 is the newer, faster version of USB 3.0. 

So, what speed is USB 3.0? Well, USB 3.0 has a theoretical bandwidth of 5Gbps, which equates to 625MB/sec. Of course, you'll very, very rarely see these sorts of speeds, but it's theoretically possible.

This is where 3.1 is a little different. USB 3.1 has a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 10Gbps, approximately 1250MB/sec. Once again this is maximum theoretical, so you probably won't get anywhere near these speeds, but since the max speed of USB 3.1 is double USB 3.0, you'll notice a significant performance increase over 3.0. 

Of course, you will need a USB 3.1 controller and USB 3.1 drive to see the benefits, but USB 3.1 drives have started being rolled out on many new motherboards and laptops. For example, the MSI Z170A motherboard has USB 3.1 connectors. 

Hope this helps with your question!

Posted · Report post

Thanks,

This really helped.

Do you suggest that I invest in a USB 3.1 Drive?