CUSTOM Windows 10 Boot Logo Tutorial

50 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Looking to change the Windows 10 boot logo? You've arrived at the right place.

In truth, the method is just the same as Windows 8 and 8.1, however the useful 8oot boot logo changer doesn't work. This method will guide you on how to manually change the boot logo.

Video Edition:

Text Version:

1) Ensure that you're running the legacy boot method (not UEFI). To find this out, go to Run > msinfo32 > Check what is listed under 'BIOS Mode'.

2) Go to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources and you'll see a file called 'bootres.dll'. This file is responsible for containing your boot logo.

3) Run Command Prompt (as administrator), and type the following commands in turn:

takeown /f C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll
icacls C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll /grant %username%:f

4) Create a folder on your desktop called 'Boot Logo', and inside of that create a folder called 'Backup'. Now, copy the C:\Windows\Boot\Resources\bootres.dll file to both your Boot Logo folder and the Backup subfolder.

5) A few tools are required for creating a custom bootres.dll file. They are listed below:

GIMP - https://www.gimp.org/
7-Zip - http://7-zip.org/
Signer - http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/extras/#signer
Restorator 2007 - http://www.bome.com/products/restorator/downloads

6) Download the above tools and save them to your hard drive somewhere. For signer, you don't need to install it, but you do need to save it in the Boot Logo folder on your desktop.

7) Run Restorator 2007, and open the bootres.dll file that is located in your Boot Logo folder on your desktop.

8) Go to the RCData folder on the right hand side, you'll see a file called 1. Right click > Extract > Extract As > Extract As. Save it in the Boot Logo folder on your desktop, and call it RCDATA_1.wim. In the save as type box, select All Files (*.*).

9) Right click on RCDATA_1.wim and go to 7-Zip. Extract to RCData_1 folder.

10) Go to GIMP, and create your boot logo. They must resemble the same dimensions (width and height) of those located in the RCData_1 folder. You must also save them as a 24-bit BMP Bitmap image. At this time GIF files won't work.

11) In your Boot Logo folder, right click on RCDATA_1.wim file, go to 7-Zip > Open Archive. 

12) Drag your new logos into the 7-Zip window and overwrite the old boot files located there.

13) Go back to Restorator, right click on 1 > Assign > Assign to... and choose your RCDATA_1.wim file that's located in your boot logo folder.

14) File > Save.

15) You just updated the bootres.dll file in the Boot Logo folder. In the Boot Logo folder, go to File > Open Command Prompt > Open Command Prompt As Administrator.

16) Depending on the version of signer your downloaded, you'll need to type one of the following commands.

signer.exe /sign sign bootres.dll
------------ OR ------------ 
signer64.exe /sign sign bootres.dll

17) Copy bootres.dll from your Boot Logo folder, and paste it in "C:\Windows\Boot\Resources" folder. Overwrite the file that's there.

You should be done!

Oh no, my boot logo has completely disappeared! What do I do?

Don't worry - this isn't uncommon. It's simply because you changed a Windows file to a version that it does no longer recognise as original. You have to turn test signing on.

1) Go to Command Prompt (as Administrator).

2) Type the following command:

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

3) Now attempt to reboot again!

YoSuKo likes this

Posted · Report post

I still have problems but I already made a forum.

Please tell me your progress on the logo you where making for me.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for commenting. 

I've been away from my PC recently and only been able to use my phone. I won't be too long with it. 

Posted · Report post

Hey Ben i watched ur wonderful tutorial on youtube and i got up to one of the last parts which was signing it and then it failed to sign and told me that bootres.dll was not a win32 application. PLZ HELP ME!!!

bootres.dll

Posted · Report post

Hello

Same message here, any idea ?

bootres.dll was not a win32 application

Posted · Report post

bootres.dll was not a win32 application

Posted · Report post

Guys, I just want to share this. I signed my bootres.dll by using resource hacker. Here's what I do. I use Restorator 2007 to extract the RCDATA_1 to .wim because if I use Resource Hacker to extract it, 7-zip says that the file is read only, something like that, cannot add files to the .wim. Then to insert the edited .wim is I use now the Resource Hacker to save it into .dll with the edited .wim.. And I test it, it works. Maybe the problem is the Restorator in terms of saving it, undoubtedly because it is trial software. Kudos!

BensTechTips likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your post! I was arriving at the same information since I do believe the issue lies in the saving from Restorator 2007. Restorator does warn that the saved file might be different if using the trial version. Hopefully using resource hacker will do a better job of saving the file!

Posted · Report post

Hello when i try this i get this error: 

No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

Please help ASAP

Posted · Report post

Have you ensured that you have typed the command correctly?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi, the Windows 10 logo is very very  cute... it would be possible to download it for change the boot logo? Or download the

bootres.dll updated and signed for 64 bit?

Thank you very much

Edited by groupy

Posted · Report post

Sure thing,

All you need to go is extract the bootres.dll file, extract 1.wim and the logos will be there.

Posted · Report post

I mean the image attached.

Can you upload all?

vlcsnap-03.png

Posted · Report post

Ah I see.

Ill post them tomorrow if I still have them! 

Posted · Report post

Thank you very much!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think your intentions were good, Ben, but this all just turned into a massive waste of time, running into various errors which you fail to reference in this guide (despite your appearing to be aware of them in other pages). Please take your articles down until you have things running properly, as this really does waste peoples' time. However, I do thank you for having a go. 

It was the "not a valid win32 app" error - also went through using Resource hacker to compile - same errors. In the end - gave up.

Edited by stigzler

Posted · Report post

My apologies for your frustration with this - it's really hard for me to fix because I can't actually replicate the bug. 

I know you've tried Resource Hacker already, did you follow this guide by @MrAlex?

Posted · Report post

I have tried all the permutations listed in this thread, inc. the Resource Hacker guide by @MrAlex.

No matter what I do, I still get the following:

C:\Users\Home\Desktop\Boot Logo>signer64.exe /sign sign bootres.dll
signer Copyright (C) 2011  Jeffrey Bush <[email protected]>
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions;
See
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html for more details.

Error: Failed to sign 'bootres.dll': %1 is not a valid Win32 application. (2147942593)

I have attached the bootres file that would not sign. This version was created using your tutorial, but MrAlex's use of resource hacker.

bootres.dll

Posted · Report post

Yes - followed that. And the method you posted above. The other thing it may be helpful to mention is that you can get a "Insert card error" or something at some point in the method. You just have to click cancel a load of times repeatedly and this eventually passes. 

BensTechTips likes this

Posted · Report post

@stigzler I'm sorry to hear that it is still not working. I am aware about the 'insert smart card' error that some people get. To be honest, I'm thinking of taking the video down and deleting the threads here so not to confuse people. It seems to work on a 50/50 split of computers. What do you think I should do with it? I aim to please everyone, but this doesn't seem to be possible with this video and I like to take other peoples opinions to guide the YT channel in the right direction.

@DjMonki I've just taken a look at your bootres.dll file and it seems corrupt. This is the issue that is being experienced by many currently. Sorry about the inconvenience, but I'm currently considering taking down the video and associated threads on this site due to the high failure rate (see above).

Posted · Report post

I would do - this isn't just messing around with some .ini files or something - it's changing boot .dlls - potentially there's dangers could really mess up peoples' computers, so my view would be to take it all down until it is robust and reliable. 

Good effort though. 

Posted · Report post

No worries, good try though. As we know this worked on Win 8 previously.
The only thing I can think of, is that you have a fully licensed Restorator and that makes all the difference.
If you do find a way, I will keep and eye out - cheers

Posted · Report post

Just a note to say that I'm starting to find out why this is happening - I can replicate the issue when I use either a Microsoft account or a local account with a space in it. Please view the following page to see the latest fixes. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your post! I but i am unable to see any boot logo after this process plz help.....