How to upgrade GPU without hardware replacement.

Question

Posted · Report post

I am a person who loves to play PC games, the bad thing is is that I have a slow computer. The game "Subnautica" is a fun game and when I open it it says that I reach all the system requirements except for GPU. I've seen videos on YouTube showing you how to upgrade your computers GPU without replacements. Non of the videos work because it isn't the same computer I have. Please respond with steps on how to upgrade the GPU.

4 answers to this question

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's great that you like playing PC games - I do too!

Most likely the videos that you are watching shows how to overclock your GPU - something that I would not recommend (though others may recommend this). 

The only way is to upgrade your graphics card. Since your graphics card does almost all of the work when gaming (note that your other components can significantly slow your PC if not of a decent spec), it is recommended to put your money into a good graphics card first.

Upgrading is actually fairly straight forward. Some computers will already have a dedicated graphics card that you'll need to replace. However, it is important to note that some computers have onboard graphics so require a GPU installing and a few tweaks in the registry. If you're buying a new graphics card, make sure that your PC's power supply is up to running it. Take a look at the wattage required by the GPU and compare it with your power supply, along with the current on the rails. If you're unsure, post your specs here so we can make sure that it will work before you try connecting it up!

Here, I would post photos, but I don't have my PC as I cannot access it at the moment. I'll post some in a few days time however.

1. First, power down your PC and open your case up.
  2. Remove your old dedicated graphics card, if you had one, by removing the screws that hold it in place. You might find a small catch on your motherboard to secure it. Release the catch.
  3. Plug in your new graphics card into the PCI-E slot on your motherboard (same connector as the old one came out of).
  4. If required, connect any 6 or 8 pin PCI-E connectors from your power supply to your GPU. Then reinsert the screws into the case, through the back panel of the GPU.
  5. Ensure you've got everything connecting properly and the card sits properly without moving. Ensure that there is no metal, of any sort, touching your motherboard or GPU. If there is, remove it immediately as this would cause a short to occur and probably damage your PC.
  6. Boot up. Uninstall any previous graphics drivers.
  7. Reboot, download and install your new graphics drivers from NVidia or AMD, depending on your graphics card model.
  8. Reboot. Your screen resolution should go back to the correct resolution.
  9. In device manager, ensure that, under display adapters, your graphics card is displayed correctly without any warnings or errors.
  10. Test your system for stability, then try your game again.

If you need any more help, please let me know. I will soon add some pictures to this post to make things a bit easier. 

Edited by BensTechTips

Posted · Report post

K thanks. The laptop I use is 4 years old and the battery only lasts for about 1 hour and a half. Do you suggest that I should just get a new laptop. Also is Overclocking the graphics card that bad, if so just reply.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ah, now you say that you're running a laptop, you're most likely out of luck for changing the GPU. You can only change the GPU if it is a dedicated graphics card, even then it's difficult to find a compatible one. If it's integrated graphics, you're out of luck.

In which case, you're going to need a new system. I would not recommend overclocking anything (in my opinion) as it can significantly shorten the life span of components and the system can become unstable, especially on a laptop.

Edited by BensTechTips

Posted · Report post

K, decides i tried overclocking but my Graphics Card cant be edited.

K thx for help