How to make your SSD boot windows and not you HHD

Question

Posted · Report post

I built a computer and I install windows 10 onto my Hard Drive/HHD. It is of course not as quick as booting from a SSD, so right now I have a useless component in my computer that could be AMAZINGLY quick but I can't find out how to boot windows with the SSD and store files on the HHD. All tutorials are out of date, please help I would greatly appreciate it. My hard drive name is posted in an earlier post and my Motherboard is a Z97-E USB 3.1 made by ASUS

6 answers to this question

Posted (edited) · Report post

I built a computer and I install windows 10 onto my Hard Drive/HHD. It is of course not as quick as booting from a SSD, so right now I have a useless component in my computer that could be AMAZINGLY quick but I can't find out how to boot windows with the SSD and store files on the HHD. All tutorials are out of date, please help I would greatly appreciate it. My hard drive name is posted in an earlier post and my Motherboard is a Z97-E USB 3.1 made by ASUS

I would recommend keeping a backup of your files first before continuing, you know, just in case.

Firstly, backup the files you wish to use that is on the HDD somewhere else.

Next, you would need to install Windows 10 onto the SSD with the installation disk or the bootable stick (whichever method you normally use).

Afterwards, remove unecessary hard drives plugged in other than the SSD and the HDD then format the hard disk drive (HDD).

To format the HDD,

1. Open Disk Managment by pressing Win+R then type "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes) followed by ENTER.

2. Find the HDD from the list, right-click the icon then click "format". If there is no such option, right-click and delete the individual partitions.

3. Create a new partition by right-clicking the empty HDD space and configuring the name and drive letter.

Afterwards, you should be done. You now have Windows 10 on your SSD and you can store your files on the HDD that appears in Windows Explorer

Edited by TechGeek
Re-ordered steps to be less confusing and less complicated.
YoSuKo and BensTechTips like this

Posted · Report post

A great guide from TechGeek above! Basically, as he says you need to basically install Windows on your SSD and leave your hard drive for data.

Posted · Report post

OK, I'll try that. It would be easier to watch a video though. Hey Benstechtips new video idea, UPDATE for 2016.

Posted · Report post

Great idea! Will start working on it when I buy my new computer!

Posted · Report post

Ok, Windows is successfully installed onto my SSD and it boots in 1 SECOND (NOT exaggerating). Didn't use the way he said but still it boots crazily fast. And yeah, an up to date video would help "millions". ;)

Posted · Report post

Awesome! Will get to work on this video soon then! Glad that you got it working! :)